The PPPM Advisory Council is an external relations group, connecting the department with activities and trends, identifying opportunities for service or research, and working with the Department to facilitate discussions around major public issues.
- Dan Carol: Director of Multi-State Initiatives, Office of the Governor
- Julie Daniel: Director, BRING Recycling
- Scott Derickson (advisory council chair): City Administrator, City of Woodburn
- David Donaldson: Vice President of Human Resources, Woodland Park Zoo
- Priscilla Gould: Chair, PacificSource Foundation for Health & Improvement, Eugene
- Kristen Karle: Housing Development Director, St. Vincent DePaul of Lane County
- Erik Kvarsten: City Manager, City of Gresham
- Bobby Lee: Regional Solutions Center Coordinator, Office of the Governor
- Nick Lelack, AICP: Community Development Director, Deschutes County, Bend
- Michelle Meador: Sales and Marketing Manager, MOSS ADAMS LLP, Eugene
- Susan Muir: Member Services Director, League of Oregon Cities, Salem
- Jon Ruiz: City Manager, City of Eugene
- Sara Schooley: Pedestrian Coordinator, Portland Bureau of Transportation, City of Portland, Oregon
- Willie Tiffany: Intergovernmental Relations Manager, Hillsboro Water Department, City of Hillsboro
- Jeffrey Towery: Assistant City Manager, City of Springfield
- Inga Fisher Williams: Principal, Coyote Creek LLC, Portland
- Stephen J. Wright: Administrator (retired), Bonneville Power Administration
Annual Award Recognition
Thursday, May 25, 2017
Ford Alumni Center Ballroom
University of Oregon
1720 E. 13th Avenue
The Planning, Public Policy and Management Department at the University of Oregon, in conjunction with the PPPM Advisory Council, presents the following awards in the spring of each year. For 2017, the event begins with a reception at 4:30 p.m., program begins at 5:00 p.m., continuing reception after the program until 6:30 p.m.
Directions and Parking maps here.
The recipients of awards for 2017 are: Vera Katz, Outstanding Service to Oregon; HE Talal Al Rahbi, Distinguished Alumnus; Jess Neff, Distinguished Recent Alumna.
The Distinguished Alumnus Award is given to a graduate of the program (at any level) who has developed a distinguished reputation in his or her chosen field over an extended period of time. Recipients of the award will generally have received their degree at least 10 years prior to receipt of the award. Recipients may have received their degrees from any area of the department including predecessors of the current departmental configuration, such as Community Service and Public Affairs (CSPA).
The Distinguished Recent Alumnus Award is given to more recent graduates, usually within fewer than 10 years of graduation, who have shown extraordinary success within the period since finishing the University of Oregon degree. Attempts will be made to alternate awardees between the three programs of the department: the undergraduate degree and the three masters programs.
The Award for Outstanding Service to Oregon is given to members of the general public who have given extraordinary service, over an extended period of time, to the state of Oregon.
Members of the department, the PPPM Advisory Council, and alumni will be asked to nominate individuals for the three awards in the early winter of each year. A committee of department faculty, students, and the Advisory Council will review the nominees and present recommendations for awardees. Decisions will be made in March of each year. Awardees must be able to attend the spring awards ceremony.
The PPPM Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award is chosen by all PPPM students, in conjunction with a member of the PPPM Advisory Council, using criteria and selection procedures determined by those groups. Student volunteers work with the PPPM Advisory Council representative and the selection is made by early May.
Past Award Recipients Include:
- Outstanding Service to Oregon: Roberto Jiménez (2015), William L. Sullivan (2014), Genevieve Nelson (2013), Michael J. Jordan (2012), Noel Klein (2011), Antone Minthorn (2010), Hardy Myers (2009), Priscilla Gould (2008), Laura M. Pryor (2007), Mrs. Sue Shaffer (2006), Jim Torrey (2005), Gov. Vic Atiyeh (2004), Congressman Peter DeFazio (2003), and Richard C. Townsend (2002).
- Distinguished Alumnus: Timothy Beatley (2015), Robert D. Atkinson, MUP '85 (2014), Terry Moore, MA Public Affairs/MUP '77 (2013), Chip Terhune, CSPA '93 (2012), Sue Dee Shenk, CSPA '71 (2011), Mariza A. Rogers, CSPA '93 (2010), Rachel Bristol, CSPA '82 (2009), Susan Anderson, MUP '82 (2008), Stephen P. Greenwood, CSPA '73 (2007), Julia Ann Demichelis, MUP '91 (2006), Stephen Bryant, CSPA '74 (2005), Wes Hare, MSPA '88 (2004), Gregg Kantor, MUP '81 (2003), and Steven J. Wright, MSPA '81 (2002).
- Distinguished Recent Alumnus: Lorelei Juntunen (2015), Marian Blankenship, MPA 2006 (2014), Jennifer M. Wagner, PPPM 2005 (2013), Alexia Caitlin Kelly, BA-PPPM 2003, MCRP 2006, MPA 2006 (2012), Kristen Karle, MCRP 2001 (2011), Wylie Chen, PPPM 2000 (2010), Karmen Fore, MA, Public Affairs '98 (2009), Geneva Wiki, PPPM '00 (2008), Tomas Andrew Endicott, MCRP 2001 (2007), Scott Courtland Derickson, MPA '95 (2006), Kristin Diane Bonner, MCRP '99 (2005), Gregory Pulliam, PPPM '94 (2004), Cynthia van Zelm, MPA '95 (2003), Kirstin A. Greene, MCRP '97 (2002).
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year: Dyana Mason (2015), Bob Choquette (2014), Marc Schlossberg (2013), Bob Parker (2012), Laura Leete (2011), Neil Bania (2010), Laura Leete (2009), Bethany Johnson (2008), Neil Bania (2007), Carl Hosticka (2006), Jessica Greene (2005), Jean Stockard (2004), Renee Irvin (2003), and Michael Hibbard (2002).
Professional Connections is a searchable database listing Board of Visitors members and other professionals by discipline. Each profile provides contact information as well as areas of expertise and resources available to students and faculty. Please click on the banner below to open your connection to different professionals.
This page updated February 14, 2017