The Department of Planning, Public Policy and Management is housed in Hendricks Hall, situated in the center of campus. Our department shares the three-story building with the Career Center, Center for the Study of Women in Society, and Women and Gender Studies. The department's space consists of faculty and staff offices, graduate employee offices, a computer lab, and a conference room. A comfortable open-hearth fireplace in the center of the first floor serves for reception, gathering and presentation space, study and relaxation.
Hendricks Hall is a solid and attractive brick building dating back to 1918, originally constructed as one of the first women's dormitories on campus. In 1971 the building's interior was converted to offices. Since 1992 Hendricks Hall has been on the National Register of Historic Places in the category "University of Oregon Women's Memorial Quadrangle Ensemble (1917-1921)," as part of the multiple property listings of the architecture of Ellis F. Lawrence MPS. Its architectural classification is "Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals: Georgian." A short description of the building's history and architecture can be found on the Knight Library website. The photo at the library website was taken in 1946. The photo above was taken in 2006.
Resources used for this information:
Description for National Register of Historic Places (PDF)
Press Release (PDF)
In Fall of 2008 an academic workshop was offered as a hands-on project for architectural students to rehabilitate an interior doorway back to its original use. Read the project report here (2MB PDF).