Co-Director, Sustainable Cities Initiative (SCI)
Associate Director, National Institute for Transportation &
Phone: (541) 346-2046
My primary applied research focal areas revolve around sustainable transportation, especially in retrofitting communities to better support biking and walking. This work ranges from bottom-up, participatory GIS approaches to more standard analysis of urban form and transportation to the production of user-friendly materials that give broader access to good bike/ped design. A focal area has been on Safe Routes to School and access to bus rapid transit, but I am broadly interested in good, action-oriented, and policy-relevant ideas.
Sustainable Cities Initiative
My work with the Sustainable Cities Initiative is pioneering a new ‘catalytic learning’ model of higher education that is multi-disciplinary, broad scaled, and action-oriented. You can find more information about SCI here: sci.uoregon.edu. We have submitted congressional testimony and meet regularly in Washington, DC with elected officials and agency staff, coordinate multi-disciplinary applied research, and have created the Sustainable City Year Program (SCYP), which has been featured in many national and international outlets. The overarching goal of SCI is to put the resources of the university into action to help address society’s most pressing issues and help train the next generation of leaders.
Other Random Notes
- I was a Peace Corp Volunteer in Fiji (1995-97), focusing on sustainable rural development
- I was a Distinguished Fulbright Scholar to the United Kingdom in 2009-10
- Many summers, I offer a study abroad course on bicycle transportation in Denmark and the Netherlands
- I supervise the LiveMove transportation and livability student group (an incredible group, so join in!)
- A more formal Biosketch includes information on research and teaching areas, as well as publications.
- My main web page includes additional information on research projects, tools for students, key web links, and a basic training manual for ultimate frisbee beginners.
This page updated August 18, 2014.