Visiting PPPM at the University of Oregon
Itinerary for Your Visit
Before you make travel plans, contact Bob Choquette, the Graduate Program Coordinator, and let him know that you plan to visit campus. He will be happy to schedule you for a brief department tour, appointments with faculty and current students, and opportunities to view classes in the curriculum.
Transportation from the Airport
Mahlon Sweet Field Airport (EUG) is roughly 11 miles by car from the University of Oregon. There are several different shuttle and taxi options to get from the airport to the university, or to hotel accommodations:
- Omnishuttle (http://www.omnishuttle.com/ ) costs $22.50 to get to the university or to downtown hotels.
- Taxis are available in the area, but they are a good deal more expensive than shuttle options (roughly $63 one way by Budget Taxi, http://www.budgettaxi.com/ ).
- No bus lines run within 2.5 miles of Mahlon Sweet Field.
- Some prospective students fly into Portland International Airport (PDX) instead, in which case HUT shuttle (https://www.hutshuttle.com/ ) offers $110 round-trip service from PDX to either UO or Phoenix Inn (more on accommodations later). Reservations are required six hours prior to your desired departure. Be sure to click on Eugene as your city, not Portland!
Many visiting prospective students stay at Phoenix Inn Suites (http://www.phoenixinn.com/eugene/), which is located less than one half mile from the university. However, there are several options on Franklin Boulevard and Broadway (within one mile of campus) that might be cheaper. Rates change depending on the day of the week and events occurring within the area, so rates will not be listed here.
Some nearby hotels include:
- Best Western New Oregon Motel (http://book.bestwestern.com )
- Best Western Greentree (http://book.bestwestern.com )
- Days Inn Eugene Downtown/University (www.daysinn.com )
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Eugene Downtown-University (www.hiexpress.com )
- Sleep Inn & Suites (www.sleepinn.com/Eugene)
- Travelers Inn Motel (www.eugenetravelersinn.net )
- Broadway Inn (www.eugenebroadwayinn.com )
- Campus Inn and Suites (www.campus-inn.com )
There are more hotels to choose from in the area, but these are the options which are closest to the university. Downtown Eugene has some better hotels in a higher price range, including the Hilton and the Inn at 5th Street Market. Downtown is a quick and easy bus ride or one mile walk to campus.
Eugene has a delightful range of dining options. If you have a specific dietary need (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please ask some of the existing students about their dining recommendations. They will be happy to direct you to restaurant options that best satisfy your requirements.
The Ridgeline trail system offers some great single-track hiking in South Eugene, just 1.5 miles from campus.
River bike trails (which lead to campus near Franklin Boulevard) and the wood chip Pre's Trail (for running) are also a great place to run or bike if you have some spare time during your visit. The beautiful Oregon coast is 1.5 hours' drive to the West and the Cascade Mountains are 1.5 hours' drive to the East. Portland is a 2-hour drive, unless you hit a traffic jam.
Prepare for cloudy skies and some rain in the winter months, with temperatures in the 40-45F range. Snow falls on average once per winter (usually in January). Summer weather is pleasantly mild (80F) and dry, and Eugene boasts a mosquito-free environment!